USNS MERCY SPECIAL EVENT – Friday, February 19, Ventura
The United States Naval Ship Mercy provides rapid, flexible, and mobile acute medical and surgical services to support U.S. forces deployed ashore and afloat. It also provides support for disaster or humanitarian operations during peacetime.
We have a very special opportunity to meet with the Commanding Officer of the USNS Mercy Medical Unit, Captain Melanie Merrick USN, at Camp Arnaz on Friday, February 19, to learn about the Mercy, its role in world relations, and lessons in leadership. This will be followed up by a very special opportunity to travel to San Diego in April to tour the USNS Mercy in person! Participants in one program are not required to sign up for both. Visit the GSCCC Events Calendar for an opportunity to register for one or both programs.
ANNUAL MEETING: Celebrating 100 Years of the Highest Honor in Girl Scouting Saturday, April 9, 2016, Wyndam Garden Pierpont Inn, Ventura 6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
GSCCC will present the legacy of these highest medals while spotlighting past, present and future Girl Scout Gold Award recipients and predecessor awardees at a special Annual Meeting to honor the Gold Award Centennial.
Girls and women will be recognized who have demonstrated extraordinary leadership through their projects. A brief business meeting of the council will also be conducted by the GSCCC Board of Directors.
All members are invited to attend. Registration begins this week and the cost to attend is $10. Gold Awardee and predecessor awardees are free. If you know of Girl Scout alumni who have earned Girl Scouting’s highest honor, please share the event and have them contact Sheila Walsh: firstname.lastname@example.org
Camp Arnaz rustic (cot/mat) overnight lodging will be provided to Gold Award recipients’ troops at no charge if they would like to attend. A block of rooms have been reserved for GSCCC at the Pierpont Inn for $139 + tax – must reserve by March 25.
GOLD AWARD VIDEO CASTING CALL Girls who have earned, or are earning the Gold Award this Centennial year, are invited to participate in a video production scheduled for Saturday, February 20. Please contact Sheila as soon as possible if you are interested.
COOKIE SALE PROGRAM 2016 BIG thanks! to everybody who participated in the initial cookie deliveries. At the start of the sale, we had 907,500 boxes of cookies in the hands of 6,441 girls. More cookie sale info here.
We are incredibly grateful for all of the time and space you are giving to your troop’s successful cookie sale program. We are having delivery and technology problems due to issues outside the council’s control, and are working diligently to resolve them. This is causing a high volume of phone calls and emails. We appreciate your patience. Thanks again for all you do for Girl Scouts!
GIRL SCOUT TRADITIONS: World Thinking Day
February 22, celebrates the birthdays of Girl Guides/Girl Scouts founder Robert, Lord Baden-Powell (1857-1941) and World Chief Guide Olave, Lady Baden-Powell (1889-1977).
Each year on February 22, girls participate in activities and projects with global themes to honor their sister Girl Guides and Girl Scouts in other countries. It is a special day in the Girl Scout year when we remember we are part of a worldwide movement. The day is also a time to donate funds to the Juliette Low World Friendship Fund. How is your troop celebrating Thinking Day? Send photos email@example.com Commemorative patches are sold online or in the shops.
DISCOVER, CONNECT, AND TAKE ACTION
UPCOMING PROGRAM EVENTS
The following is just a partial listing of the many programs happening in coming months. Be sure to visit the GSCCC Events Calendar for more information, and to register!
- Dive DEEP at the Conejo Gem and Mineral Club meeting, February 11, Thousand Oaks
- USNS Mercy: Compassion and Leadership Around the World, February 19, Camp Arnaz (see above)
- Engineering Challenge, February 27, San Luis Obispo
- Monarch Monitoring Program, first meeting March 12, Camp Arnaz (see below)
- Sand Dune Restoration, March 12, Pacific Grove
MONARCH MONITORING PROGRAM AT THE ARNAZ PROGRAM CENTER
Come learn all about how you can help the declining Monarch butterfly population by attending the Arnaz Program Center’s Monarch Monitoring Program. This program is scheduled every second Saturday from March through December 2016. (*EXCEPTION – September 2016, 3rd Saturday) Register viaGSCCC Events Calendar.
All information and data collected will be submitted to the University of Minnesota’s Monarch Larvae Monitoring Project (MLMP). Questions? Contact: Amanda firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
CAMP ARNAZ RECEIVES AMERICAN CAMP ASSOCIATION ACCREDITATION
Camp Arnaz has been recognized by the American Camp Association (ACA) for its dedication to excellence and safety. ACA Accredition means that the policies and procedures in place at the camp help to ensure a very high level of safety and security for you and all camp visitors!
CAMP ARNAZ MASTER PLAN
There are many ways that you can contribute to the development of a Master Plan for Camp Arnaz.
- Send us your input no later than February 29, 2016 online athttps://www.cognitoforms.com/Camparnazgirlscoutscccorg/CampArnazMasterPlan
- Come to the community meeting at Camp Arnaz on February 17, from 6:00-8:00 pm to lend your voice to the discussion. Please RSVP to email@example.com
- Join the Camp Arnaz Master Plan Task Force. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. The Task Force will meet in March to review responses from the online form and community meeting, and determine next steps (and further meetings) at that time.
KALEIDOSCOPE 2017 A weekend camporee for Junior, Cadette, Senior and Ambassador Troops that includes outdoor skills challenges, tent camping, fun & friendship. Planning has begun. Committee Members Needed! Committee meetings will be held monthly at the Goleta Girl Scout office. Needed: Parking Chair and Scheduler Chair. Other positions are also open. Questions? Contact: Volunteer Co-Chairs: Marsha Hill, email@example.com or Holly Nishida, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARBOR DAY – April 30, 2016
Arbor Day is all about planting, nurturing, and promoting education about trees. Celebrate the day at Camp Arnaz and help plant 100 trees!
Girls will also learn:
- The proper way to plant a tree from a landscape architect; who also happens to be our very own GSCCC Director of Properties!
- About the seasons and why it is important to plant trees at the right time.
- Proper watering techniques and tree wells.
- Staking a tree correctly so it won’t blow over!
Register via GSCCC Events Calendar.
VOLUNTEER ADULT AWARDS – DEADLINE FEBRUARY 19
Has an adult volunteer really gone the extra mile in serving girls, fellow adults, the needs of the council, or the movement overall? Recognize those tremendous efforts by submitting a nomination for an adult award! There are many different kinds of awards. Nominations for awards should be in recognition of efforts during the 2014-15 Girl Scout year. Adult Awards Guide answers most questions. To make the process a bit easier, Nomination and Endorsement forms can be filled out online and printed.
Applications that require council approval must be received by February 19, 2016. Questions? Contact: Melissa email@example.com
AREA TRAINING COORDINATOR (ATC) NEEDED IN
SANTA BARBARA, MONTEREY, SAN BENITO,
AND SANTA CRUZ COUNTIES
ATCs coordinate local GSCCC trainings. They understand the overall process of current council trainings, assist staff with keeping training kits current, assist with organizing area trainings, and speak at Service Unit Meetings.
Current ATCs are:
- Ventura County: Debi Dyer. Training questions? Contact Debi: firstname.lastname@example.org
- SLO County: Cindy Barcelona. Training questions? Contact Cindy: email@example.com
Interested? Contact Sheila at firstname.lastname@example.org. An ATC is a current GSUSA member, has completed a Volunteer Application and background check, Learning Facilitator training, and at least one other current GSCCC training.
Did you know that council offers a variety of training opportunities throughout the year? A sample of programs coming up includes:
- Learning Facilitator Training, March 5, Castroville
- Outdoor Training, March 10, Hollister
- Learning Facilitator Training, March 19, San Luis Obispo
- First Aid & CPR, March 20, Simi Valley
PRODUCT SALE PROGRAMS
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND – Mini Order-Tracking Card (download, print, and go)
EL NIÑO PATCH Let it rain. Let it rain. Let it rain. El Niño shouldn’t dampen the Cookie Sale. Infact, your girls can earn an El Niño patch if they brave the elements to sell those Thin Mints. Send us a picture of how you stand tall against El Niño and your patch is free. Send to email@example.com Include your Troop # and contact information. In addition, Girl Scout rain ponchos will be available for purchase from the Service Unit.
NATIONAL GIRL SCOUT COOKIE WEEKEND, FEBRUARY 26 – 28, 2016
Girls around the country will be celebrating all of the amazing things they do with their cookie earnings every year, while highlighting the importance of the 5 Skills they learn through the Girl Scout Cookie Program! Submit your awesome cookie earnings stories at www.girlscouts.org/shareyourstory , and let the “cookie bosses” shine bright. Select stories will be featured during National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend! Commemorative patches are available in the stores and online.
FOR THE TROOPS COOKIE DONATIONS SUGGESTION…
Troops could contact their local VFWs and American Legions to promote Troop to Troops cookie sales.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- Monday, 2/8 – Initial ACH withdrawal from Troop bank accounts
- Friday, 2/12- Cookie Booth Sales Begin
- Monday, 2/15 – Webinar: Booth & Finances
- Monday, 2/22 – Second ACH withdrawal from Troop bank accounts
- February 26-28 – National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend
- Monday, 2/29 – Webinar: Rewards & Final Issues
- Sunday, 3/6 – Cookie Sale Ends
- Monday, 3/14 – Final ACH withdrawal from Troop bank accounts.
Register for upcoming webinars on the GSCCC calendar
COOKIE SUPPORT – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ventura & Santa Barbara Counties: Christina email@example.com or 805-232-3985
- SLO, Monterey, San Benito & Santa Cruz counties: Rebecca firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-632-9782
- Director of Sales: Carol email@example.com or 805-232-3977
Shop on-line or visit our council shops to get all of your Cookie promotion and fun needs. New cookie merchandise and council’s own items available at both store locations.
Click here to view the GSUSA Cookie Promotion Flyer.
Drawstring or Reusable Bag – free with minimum purchase.